Trying on shoes and other girly things

I’ve been really procrastinating on getting my writing done lately. Given that I only have about 5 weeks left (and maybe less if I can help it!) before the baby comes, and I’d like to finish at least a very rough draft by then, this is not a good thing! I would say that I’m perhaps halfway through at this point, and I do at least know where the story is going, but I’ve skipped a few things here and there that I was stuck on and needed to sort out later. Silly practicalities, like… when my characters head off into the woods, what do they have with them? Where did they stock up on sleeping rolls and all sorts of things like that? What do they eat? Okay, not so silly.

I was reading my weekly email from Holly Lisle, who has an email list for writing tips and such, and she talked about having a fairly modest writing goal each day. While part of her point was that it was good to have a goal that you could “blow out of the water,” it also helped me realize that I don’t necessarily have to have hours to write, even if I can just manage to type 250-500 words, that will get me somewhere eventually.

Another revelation was that I’m spending a lot of time plotting, replotting, trying to solve plot issues, thinking about character, etc. And that really I need to get a rough draft written, even if it’s not great. It’s not great. And I know it’s not my best writing. But seriously, I think if I can just get through the entire story, even if it’s predictable and the prose is boring, that will really be a good start. From that I can read it and figure out what’s falling flat and what to do about it, which I can’t do when most of the scenes are in my head or written only in summary. So. I’m trying to push myself to just write, write, write, who cares how good it is, just get something down on the paper. At least 250-500 words a night. I oughta be able to manage that, right? At 500 words a night, I could do another 15,000 words in 30 days. And then when the baby is born, the timing will be perfect to let the novel sit and stew for a few weeks before I begin the revision process.

Aside from writing, today was a reasonably productive day. I find that getting the dishes done *before* getting dressed makes the day start out so much better to me. Somehow it throws things off if I go to get dressed first. I think because after my shower, I’m overheating and my blood pressure is all weird (doesn’t matter what the water temperature is). So I end up needing to sit down and maybe have a drink, and then it’s hard to get going again. So today I got the dishes done, the dining room floor swept, the table wiped, etc., before I went up for my shower. I didn’t get much done after that, as I had promised Beth that I’d watch her new princess movie with her (for some reason lately she freaks out about watching anything by herself, but princess movies are still her weekend treat). Josie was acting insane all morning. Usually she’s happy to see me when I wake up, can’t wait for her morning yogurt and breakfast, etc. Today she was fussing like crazy, didn’t want yogurt, didn’t want to eat cereal, just wanted to throw herself on the floor and wail. So she took a nap while we watched the movie, and that seemed to help things. Maybe she was up obnoxiously early?

We went to a Thomas the Train playdate thing that they have at Toys ‘R’ Us. They have a ton of trains for the kids to play with (although I wish they had a train table instead of just a printed little carpet thing that was way too small for the trains), coloring pages, paper hats, etc. The kids played with trains for a few minutes and tried some coloring. A Toys ‘R’ Us employee did one of the *worst* book readings I’ve ever heard. It was actually mildly humorous, it was just so bad. I thought about offering to read for him, but I thought that would probably be insulting. The kids weren’t so much paying attention to the story anyway. So about 10 minutes of trains, then the girls were off. Josie first. She discovered that the train exhibit was in a clothing area, and what was nearby? Shoes! She immediately sat down in the shoe aisle, grabbed a pair of shoes, pulled off her own, and tried them on. Seriously. 20 months old and already she’s shoe-shopping on her own? Beth wanted in on the action, so pretty soon both of them are trying on shiny pink glittery shoes and the like. Then Josie decided she wanted to play hide-and-seek tag among the clothing shelves, so I spent a while trying to catch and maintain control of a purple blur. Beth mostly hung out near the trains, but the second I let go of Josie she was off running, playing with Koosh balls, looking at clothes, trying to take clothes off the racks, etc. This is not something I’ve had to deal with, because generally I keep her strapped into a cart while shopping, but I hadn’t gotten a cart because we were here to play. I managed to corral her in the train area and get her to color for a bit, then we headed out.

Beth had earned a sticker reward of a Tinkerbell purse, which she’s been really excited about ever since we saw them at Meijer. We checked out a few at TRU while we were there (and she found lots of other future sticker rewards that she wants to try to earn!), but she decided she wanted one from Meijer instead. So we got back into the car and hit Meijer next. They had the perfect Tinkerbell purse (Beth loved it, and Mommy loved it because it was on clearance!). Mommy also got to use a few yogurt coupons combined with a sale. Yogurt was the one thing we were getting short on, so this way we can wait a few more days before grocery shopping (I’d like to get to see Sunday’s sale ad and get the new coupons).

Got home, had lunch, sent the girls for naps and quiet time, and had some quiet time to myself. Gotta work on Beth’s constant interruptions, though. I think I’m going to start doing sticker rewards if she can stay in her room for all of quiet time, because once the new baby is born, getting some interrupted sleep will be really crucial.

I made chocolate chip cookies, so the girls got one each after quiet time/naptime. And while they were cooking I got some vacuuming done. Nothing to make you vacuum at high speed than 10-minute cookies in the oven! Got the hall and the girls’ room done while the cookies baked, then the stairs and our bedroom while the cookies cooled. Whew! I can’t even imagine how many Cheerios there probably are in the vacuum cleaner bag. Possibly half a box’s worth. Josie has a fun new game that she likes to play with the vacuum cleaner, called “Chicken.” Basically she figures out where I’m going to vacuum next, and stands there until the vacuum is about an inch from her feet. Then she either grins at me or moves about a foot away in the direction that I’m going to be vacuuming next. I’ll shoo her away, and she’ll go off for a minute, but she’ll be back a minute or two later and do the same thing. Sometimes she’ll bring a toy or book along that she can “accidentally” drop in the vacuum’s path. Oh, for the days when the girls were afraid of the vacuum cleaner and would run, shrieking, into another room to hide while I vacuumed.

Got some laundry done (but not folded or put away), so I’ve done pretty well in the past few days. Need to clean the “quiet time room” and wash the kitchen/dining room floor and get the laundry actually folded and in drawers, oh, and clean the bathrooms, but in general the house looks pretty good. At least for our house.

I’m growing out of my maternity clothes. 😦 They were bought for pregnancies in which I was far less pregnant during the summer, so it makes sense, I suppose, but it’s still frustrating! I don’t want to buy any new stuff. I did finally give in and buy one new item, though. It’s a very lightweight dress for church. My only maternity dress that I had previously was just a little too low-cut and short for church, more like what you’d wear to a summer barbecue. This one is a little boring, but it’s collared and has a longer skirt, so I’ll feel much more comfortable wearing it to church. I got it at the consignment shop that sells mostly kids’ stuff, so it wasn’t too expensive. Looking forward to wearing it tomorrow. Although I just remembered that I wanted to put a little stitch at the collar to hold it together (it’s one of those collars where you have one side overlap the other, and there’s a tendency on collars like that to gape open a bit more than I’m comfortable with, so I hide a little stitch there and then the overlap stays together).

And… wow. You can tell I hadn’t updated for a while, because this post is way too long. I’ll save everything else for next time!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s